When building a new home or remodeling a current one, you can’t forget this important style choice — horizontal or vertical siding?
Our Portland siding experts are here with the unique advantages and disadvantages of all your options. Keep reading and be one step closer to making all your home-style decisions.
Horizontal Siding | What You Need to Know
You can prepare for reaching out to a Portland siding company by familiarizing yourself with the siding you’d like.
We’ll start with some information on horizontal styles.
Your siding contractor in Portland, OR will let you know that horizontal is the popular choice, which makes sourcing your desired style much easier.
The most common materials are as follows:
- Vinyl: Vinyl is affordable and offers a wide range of colors, cuts, and appearances. Installation is easy, but vinyl is more prone to leaks. Make sure to enlist the help of an experienced Portland siding contractor, or you may require frequent siding repair — Portland rain is no joke!
- Wood: Wood has remained popular due to its warmth. But ensure you’re hiring a quality Portland siding company, or you’ll be susceptible to water damage.
- Cedar: It’s beautiful and, when installed horizontally, quite cost-effective. Our Portland roofing contractors can have this job done in no time.
- Fiber Cement: This material is super water-resistant, especially compared to wood. Plus, it’s cheaper.
- Cost: Horizontal installation is less costly than vertical because it requires less labor and material.
- Easy installation: Portland roofers will let you know this installation is an easy process, which helps save money.
- Speedy installation: Want a quick home makeover? Then your Portland siding contractor will recommend horizontal styles.
- More prone to water: Moisture can build up in the siding strips, which can affect its hold on your home.
- Potential warping: If you go for the wood style, the rain could lead to warping. This leaves your home vulnerable to mold or mildew.
Vertical Siding | What You Need to Know
Let’s discuss the unique vertical siding aesthetic.
Vertical is not a traditional look, but it’s a great way to make your home stand out from the rest.
For a small recap, the styles are as follows:
- Vinyl: Beloved for its easy installation and endless color, shape, and size choices. Plus, requires much less maintenance.
- Wood: Costly, but classy. Vertical wood will give your home dimension and warmth.
- Cedar: A durable wood with an easy installation process.
- Fiber cement: Looking for the wood look, but want better water resistance? This material is for you. However, vertical installation of fiber cement is complicated you’ll need a professional Portland siding contractor.
- Unique appearance: Your home will be the neighborhood knockout. It’ll also look larger, as this look provides an elongating effect.
- Less susceptible to water: Rain glides right down vertical panels, minimizing the risk of damage, mold, and mildew.
- Complex installation: It’s harder to install, so you’ll need to vet your Portland siding company thoroughly.
- Higher cost: Vertical requires furring strips and long labor times, meaning you’ll pay more.
- Risk when selling: The unique appearance this style offers may deter potential buyers.
Can I mix styles?
Yes! Many homes have the traditional horizontal look, with dormers or attached garages accented by a vertical style.
What helps prevent water damage on horizontal styles?
A good roof with a gutter system should divert water away from your home.
A Portland roofing company can help with gutter installation or roof repair. Portland, OR is known for its damp weather, but thankfully, you can easily protect your home by maintaining your roof and gutters.
Should I get my roof and siding redone at the same time?
The best roofing company Portland, OR homeowners can find will house Portland siding contractors and Portland roofing contractors.
If you plan to have both a roof and siding repair Portland service done, our roofers in Portland will work like well-oiled machines to get your home facelift done in a timely manner.
Choose a Siding Contractor Portland, OR Can Trust
Ultimately, the decision depends on your budget and style choices. If you’re having a hard time choosing, the best way to hammer out your decision is by speaking with a reputable Portland siding company.
When talking to our roofing contractors, Portland, OR homeowners know they’re in good hands. Contact our professional Portland roofers today to discuss the home makeover you’ve always dreamed of!
Subscribe to KVN Construction's Blog